Ways You Can Help
A loved one who has heart problems can use your help in a variety of ways. Below is a list of things you can do to help them maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Support your loved one’s efforts to stay at a healthy weight. It may be helpful—and fun—to diet and exercise regularly together, remind them to check their weight and help them keep a record.
- Know how to read a food label. Ask a doctor for help if you don’t know how.
- Make sure they take their medication as directed. And just as important, make sure your loved one takes their medication on a regular schedule with the help of the Medication Tracker.
- Learn how to check their blood pressure. Or, remind them when it’s time to do it.
- Together with your loved one, talk with their doctor. There might be many more ways you can help. Keep the doctor’s name and office phone number handy.
Having heart disease can make a person scared, angry, or depressed. Your loved one will need your emotional support and understanding as they work to improve their health.